Location: Union of Ontario Indians Head Office
Nipissing First Nation, North Bay, ON
The Legal Department provides legal services to the Union of Ontario Indians and its affiliated corporations, First Nations of the Anishinabek Nation, and members of the First Nations comprising the Anishinabek Nation.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of the Legal Coordinator, the office assistant position provides support in areas relating to the general office duties including:
- Assist in answering telephone calls within department
- Assist in preparing memos and letters
- Assist with travel arrangements for legal counsel
- Opening and closing client files
- Providing of support and secretarial services by typing, proofreading, correspondence, reports, minutes and other program related documents and photocopying, as required
- Assist in filing
- Assist in case law research as requested by legal counsel
- Entering in-house legal counsel’ time dockets into PCLAW
- Assist with requisitioning purchase orders/cheques
- Assist with preparing expense claims for legal counsel
- Carry out other duties, related to the position, as may be assigned by in-house legal counsel
QUALIFICATIONS AND ELIGIBILITY:
- Enrolled in a post secondary institution, preferably in law office administration and enrolled to return to school on a full time basis for the 2017/2018 academic year
- Knowledge and understanding of the Union of Ontario Indians
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, Quicklaw, PCLaw
- Ability to work in an office setting with minimum supervision
- Knowledge of First Nations a definite asset
- To provide own transportation
- First Nations and Inuit secondary and post–secondary students aged 15 to 30 who are ordinarily residents’ on-reserve or in recognized communities.
- Participants must have been registered as full-time students during the preceding academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year.
DURATION: June 12, 2017 to September 1, 2017
WAGE: $13.00 per hour – 37.5 hours per week
Closing Date: Friday, June 2, 2017 @ 4:30 p.m. (Applications received after this date and time will not be considered.)
Please send your resume with a cover letter and three references to:
Special Projects Coordinator
Union of Ontario Indians
P.O. Box 711, North Bay, ON P1B 8J8
Phone: (705) 497-9127 / 1-877-702-5200 Fax 497-9135
Individuals of First Nation ancestry are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to UOI member First Nation applicants.
Miigwetch to all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.